Tyne and Wear HER(2088): Wallsend, Allan's Chemical Works - Details
Wallsend, Allan's Chemical Works
Chemical Production Site
Wallsend Chemical Works. OS 1st edn mapping shows a possible condensing flue and chimney, and a wagonway to the edge of the river. In 1847 John Allen built a chemical factory on land aquired from Dame Allan's Charity. The works went into production in 1848. Alkali and bleaching powder were manufacturered. The tall chimney was a landmark for miles around. The prosperity of the works was reached in 1875, then declined until production had almost ceased in 1882. In 1883 a group of Newcastle businessmen took over the works under the name Wallsend Chemical Company. They also made scented soap. In 1890-1 the company amalgamated with the United Alkali Company. A few years later Swan Hunter built an extension to their shipyard over the site.
<< HER 2088 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 98; University of Newcastle upon Tyne Department of Extra-Mural Studies, 1961, The Old Tyneside Chemical Trade, chapter XIII, pages 37-38; TWM Archaeology, 2010, Swan Hunter, Wallsend - archaeological assessment and photographic recording; Tyne and Wear Museums, 2010, Land east of Wallsend Roman Fort (TWEDCo) - Archaeological Assessment; White Young Green, 2008, Swan Hunter Shipyard, Wallsend - Archaeological Assessment; Pre-Construct Archaeology, 2013, Former Swan Hunter Site, Station Road, Wallsend - Archaeological Evaluation