Tyne and Wear HER(2121): Howdon, Percybank Brick and Tile Works - Details
Howdon, Percybank Brick and Tile Works
Brick and Tilemaking Site
One of the southern branches of the Blyth and Tyne Railway (HER ref. 1055) appears to run to this site. The site was first leased from the Duke of Northumberland in 1835, by John Sadler. By 1852, production was up to 1ΒΌ million bricks and the same number of tiles. In 1853 the works were up for sale. They consisted of a pug mill, 3 large kilns with coal stores, a 72x15 yard tile drying shade, with 2 smaller ones and two quays on the river Tyne. The buildings were wooden with pantile roofs. The extent of the site is unclear from the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan.
<< HER 2121 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 98 P J. Davidson, 1986, The Brickworks of the North East, p.62