Tyne and Wear HER(2124): Preston, Appleby Park (cycling track later football ground) - Details
Preston, Appleby Park (cycling track later football ground)
An oval cycling track, on the site of Preston Colliery (HER 2006). The site is not on the 1st edition OS so was built after 1858. In 1900 North Shields Athletic Football Club took over the cycling track. In the 1920s Preston Colliery FC took over. They were renamed North Shields FC in 1928. A local derby against South Shields in 1936 attracted a crowd of 12,800. North Shields won the FA Amateur Cup in 1969. During the 1970s the club fell into debt. The ground was also damaged by mining subsidence. In 1992 the ground was sold. The housing estate on the site included a street called Appleby Park. The club moved to Ralph Gardner Park on Silkeys Lane.
<< HER 2124 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1899, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 89, SE; Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - charting the heritage of people at play, p 112