Fast Search

You are Here: Home / North Shields, New High Light

Tyne and Wear HER(2129): North Shields, New High Light - Details

Back to Search Results


N Tyneside

North Shields, New High Light

North Shields



Navigation Aid


Early Modern


Extant Building

The High Lighthouse, with the Low Light (HER 2057) was a guide light for vessels entering the mouth of the Tyne. Built to replace the earlier High Light (HER 4556) which was rendered useless by changes in the river channel, the High Light was completed in 1807 and first lit in 1810. {2} Lighthouse, dated 1808 on north elevation and on rainwater head, and house 1860. Lighthouse by John Stokoe for Trinity House, Newcastle upon Tyne. Painted ashlar and brick, iron balustrade and lead roof. House has Welsh slate roof. Lighthouse 4 storeys and lantern stage. Ground floor projection has blocked Venetian window. Blocked windows with classical treatment on first and second floors. Round-arched top window under pediment. Cornice and iron balustrade with urn cover finials. House is of two storeys. Bricked-up overlight to hardboard-covered door at left; wedge stone lintels and stone sills. Plaque above door commemorating rebuilding in 1860, bears arms of Trinity House, Newcastle.




<< HER 2129 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1899, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 89, SE M.H. Dodds, 1928, The North Shields Lighthouses J. Woods, 1826, Plan of the Towns of North Shields and Tynemouth J. Woods, 1826, Plan of the Towns of North Shields and Tynemouth; Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historic Interest, 15/127

Back to Search Results