Tyne and Wear HER(2171): Backworth Colliery Railway, Church Pit Branch - Details
Backworth Colliery Railway, Church Pit Branch
Railway Transport Site
Backworth Colliery Railway (Church Pit Branch), from Earsdon Colliery (HER ref. 1114) to a junction with the East Holywell Colliery Railway (HER ref. 1051). This also served the Abbey Shot Factory (HER ref. 2172) and was built after 1858. A portion of rail is visible within a tarmac road at NZ 3100 7180. The remainder of the route has been covered by colliery waste and may survive.
<< HER 2171 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1898, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 89, NW 2000, Moor Edge Farm, Archaeological Assessment -Historic Environment Record; John Elliott & Derek Charlton, 1994, Backworth - An Illustrated History of the Mines and Railways