Tyne and Wear HER(2176): Shiremoor, Allotment Mill - Details
Shiremoor, Allotment Mill
Site of the Backworth Colliery granary and feed preparation mill for pit pony fodder. The name "Allotment" came from the multitude of small holdings and farms, many of which came to be owned by the colliery company. The Allotment Mill became the focal point of produce from these farms. The granary was built between 1854 and 1898 probably utilizing stone from the old haulage engine when it was dismantled (HER 1143). The granary survived until at least the late 1960s.
<< HER 2176 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1898, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 89, NW; John Elliott and Derek Charlton, 1994, Backworth - An illustrated history of the mines and railways