Tyne and Wear HER(2185): Willington, Willington Quay Station - Details
Willington, Willington Quay Station
Railway Transport Site
Willington Quay Station, on the North Eastern Railway, Newcastle & Tynemouth Riverside Branch (HER 2146). Opened May 1st 1879. Closed to goods 2nd Oct 1967 and to passengers 23rd July 1973. Demolished and now the site of housing. The station was single storey brick structure in H-plan. It had a footbridge connecting the 2 platforms. The station buildings at St Peters, St Anthony's, Walker and Willington Quay were all the same H-plan structure with a cantilevered platform awning embraced by cross wings. Designed by Benjamin Burleigh. The buildings were in place until at least the late 1950s. The last goods trains passed through the old station 31st May 1978, the rails were lifted in July 1979 but the platforms remained. By 1987 the site had been largely cleared.
<< HER 2185 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1898, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 89, SW; http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/willington_quay/index.shtml