Tyne and Wear HER(2192): Shiremoor, Shiremoor Colliery (Blue Bell Pit) - Details
Shiremoor, Shiremoor Colliery (Blue Bell Pit)
Coal Mining Site
Shiremoor Colliery, with a link to the North Eastern Railway, through the Blyth and Tyne Branch (HER 1055). Owners were Backworth and West Cramlington Colleries. Bought by Backworth Collieries from Shiremoor Coal Company in 1896. Samuel Young Lilley died on 15 December 1896, aged 16. He was a Way End Boy. The rope on the engine plane had broken and struck him. In 1902 the first electric coal-cutter was tried out at the Blue Bell Pit. Closed in 1915.
<< HER 2192 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1898, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 89, NW; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; James T. Tuck, 1993, Colleries of Northumberland, Vol 1; John Elliott & Derek Charlton, 1994, Backworth - An Illustrated History of the Mines and Railways; Roy Thompson, 2004, Thunder Underground - Northumberland Mine Disasters 1815-65, photo on p 170; Shiremoor Local History Group, The history of Backworth Colliery (in HER 2010/147)