Tyne and Wear HER(2226): Hebburn, Ballast Hill - Details
Hebburn, Ballast Hill
Between the works of Hawthorns (HER 2227) and United Alkali (HER 2503) is one of the Tyne's ballast hills, artificial mounds created by the discharge of ballast from inward bound colliers. Many ships coming to the Tyne to load coal entered the river 'light' or 'in ballast'. This means that no cargo was being carried. In the absence of cargo, the ballast gives the vessel stability. Ships returning from London coal voyages often carried shingle or chalk as ballast. Sand and other materials were also used. Over the centuries, great hills of ballast grew along both banks of the Tyne. There were substantial ballast hills near Bill Point Walker, Willington Quay, Hebburn, Jarrow and North and South Shields. Ships were charged fees to unload their ballast. By the early 1820s this was about 20p per ton. To avoid the fee some masters resorted to the dangerous act of discharging ballast before entering harbour. One estimate suggests that some 20% of all imported ballast ended up in the river, risking the Tyne silting up.
<< HER 2226 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham , 3 F.W.D. Manders, Walker and Hebburn; Dick Keys and Ken Smith, 2005, Tall Ships on the Tyne, p 6