Tyne and Wear HER(224): Ryhope village - Details
The earliest reference to Ryhope village appears to be c. 930, when King Athelstan gave "South Wearmouth" and its appendages, which included "duas Reofhoppas", to the see of Durham. By 1840 there were 5 farms of 91-143 acres each, and 21 of 17-64 acres. Ryhope was a 3-row village around a triangular green, with the short east side forming the base of the triangle on the main noth-south road, and the 2 long rows running WSW ending, in the early 18th century, in a pond. There were back lanes on the north and south sides. The shape of the village still exists, though it is much rebuilt.
<< HER 224 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1852, Boldon Buke, Surtees Society,Vol. 25, pp. 46-47 and appendices; W. Greenwell, ed. 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, Vol. 32, pp. 140-144; Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Chancery Decree Awards, 1680, Ryhope 35; Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Dixon-Johnson, 1787, Leases 2/60-62; J. Bell, 1787, W. Scurfield's estate TWCMS B10916 -Sunderland Museum; Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Halmote Court Additional maps and plans - (date unknown) Ryhope, 6 chains 6; Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Halmote Court Additional maps and plans, 1791 Robert Thomas' farm, Plan 120, Parcel 3, 7462 1790, Ryhope farms, TW 739.1- Tyne and Wear Archive Service; R. Surtees, 1816, History of the County Palatine of Durham, Vol. I, pp. 224 note b, 251-2; Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Tithe Award, 1840, Ryhope; W. Hutchinson, 1787, History of...Durham II, pp. 641, 679-81; Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2002, High and South Farm Steadings, Ryhope, Archaeological Assessment & Buildings Survey; Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2003, High and South Farm Steadings, Ryhope, Archaeological Evaluation; Sunderland City Council, July 2010, Ryhope Village Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Strategy (Consultation Draft); J.N. Pace, 1985, Ryhope in old picture postcards; E. Keough, 1991, The History of Ryhope; Pevsner, N, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham (second edition revised by Elizabeth Williamson); William Whellan & Co, 1856, History, Topography and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham… p 615