Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Jarrow, Jarrow Bridge

Tyne and Wear HER(2269): Jarrow, Jarrow Bridge - Details

Back to Search Results


S Tyneside

Jarrow, Jarrow Bridge





Post Medieval



Jarrow Bridge, over the estuary of Bede's Burn, between Jarrow and East Jarrow {1}. Hutchinson's "History of Durham" published in 1787 states that "the passage from Jarrow monastery to the opposite shore is formed by a raised causeway and a bridge over the rivulet, which considering the haven to have been neglected for many ages, is yet a formidable work". In the "Records of Jarrow" mention is made of a meeting which took place on Jarrow Bridge in relation to the opening of Jarrow Colliery by Temple on September 26th 1803. Surtees "History of Durham" in 1820 makes reference to "a narrow bridge over the little water of Done". The listed building description states that the bridge was repaired by William Allison, mason in 1781-3 and widened for the turnpike in 1826. The date of repair coincides with repair work carried out on the church in 1782. The road does not look like a turnpike road on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1856. On the second edition of 1898the road from the bridge to East Jarrow is still referred to as "The Causeway". The origins of the bridge seem therefore to lie, at the latest, in the mid 18th century, and may date from the period of industrial development of the Slake which began in 1697. Hutchinson's description seems to suggest that it predates the 1780s. The bridge was bypassed by the construction of a new road bridge to the west prior to 1938. Honey coloured sandstone bridge with a single arch. The upper surface has setts arranged with two drainage channels. The east face has a projecting string course below the parapet. On both sides there is a pilaster on either side of the arch. The arch has a good hood mould. The bridge has been substantially rebuilt and it may be that the eastern side is the oldest, with the bridge widened to the west in the early 19th century. The bridge was restored in 1999.




<< HER 2269 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 3 Hutchinson, 1787, History of Durham Surtees, 1820, History of Durham List of Buildings of Special ... Interest; South Tyneside Council, September 2006, St. Paul's Conservation Area Character Appraisal; NECT, 2015, National Heritage at Risk Grade II Project

Back to Search Results