Tyne and Wear HER(2279): Jarrow, St. Bede Works/Don Alkali Works - Details
Jarrow, St. Bede Works/Don Alkali Works
Chemical Production Site
The 2nd edition OS mapping shows these works had expanded by 1895 and had been renamed the St. Bede Works. The site is also known as the Don Factory, this site was shown on a map of 1839. Thomas Bell founded the Don Alkali Works in 1836. Jefferson and Co. started the Bede Chemical Works. The Hebburn (HER 2503) and Jarrow Works shared in the development of the South Durham (Haverton Hill) salt deposits and in the formation of a local factory to work the copper in the pyrites used in making sulphuric acid - the Tharsis Copper Company.
<< HER 2279 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 3 County Conservation Team, 1989, Simonside, South Shields, p.4; University of Newcastle upon Tyne Department of Extra-Mural Studies, 1961, The Old Tyneside Chemical Trade, chapter XII, pages 31-33