Tyne and Wear HER(2317): East Boldon, Brick and Tile Works - Details
East Boldon, Brick and Tile Works
Brick and Tilemaking Site
The Cleadon (East Boldon) Brick and Tile Works was the first of a series of brick works to open in the Cleadon area. Brick works established by 1820 and noted on Greenwoods plan of 1820. The sites already covered an extensive area by the time of the First Edition Ordnance Survey plan, 1855. In 1844 the works were run by Robert Anderson. The Cleadon Brick and Tile Works was the only brickworks in operation in the immediate area in 1855. The 1855 plan shows a kiln at the southern end of the site, possibly a pug mill and rectangular lagoon to the north, with a drying area in between. Surrounding the complex were three large clay pits. By the end of the 19th century there were four brickworks in the Cleadon area.
<< HER 2317 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 8; Northern Archaeological Associates, 2015, The Cleadon Village Atlas p144