Tyne and Wear HER(2338): South Shields, Craster's Dock or Young's Dock - Details
South Shields, Craster's Dock or Young's Dock
Dock and Harbour Installation
A ‘Mr Craster’s Upper Dock’ is mentioned in an advertisement for the sale of salvage in 1805, showing that the dock had been constructed by this time. On the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1858, a single dock is present on the site, annotated as ‘Young’s Dock’. This is enlarged on later 19th century editions of the Ordnance Survey plan for the area.
<< HER 2338 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 4 The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Shipbuilding on Tyne and Wear - Prehistory to Present. Tyne & Wear Historic Environment Record.