Fast Search

You are Here: Home / South Shields, Low Station

Tyne and Wear HER(2353): South Shields, Low Station - Details

Back to Search Results


S Tyneside

South Shields, Low Station

South Shields



Railway Transport Site

Railway Station

Early Modern


Extant Building

This station was originally the northern terminus of the Brandling Junction Railway after it had been extended in 1842 (SMR 2288). In 1864 the North Eastern Railway closed this station and replaced it with one at Mile End Road (SMR 2462) {2}. The original Brandling Junction Railway South Shields station was situated near to Messrs. Brandling's coal drops (Harton High Staiths) and was a considerable distance from the town. Quite a large sum of money was spent on the land and buildings, despite the fact that the station on that site was not intended to be permanent. There was only one room in the station house for the accomodation of waiting passengers. As early as 28th February 1840, the Directors reported to the company's shareholders that land had been purchased near to the Market Place at South Shields "where a most convenient station will be formed". It seems fairly certain that the plans for the Market Place extension, including the passenger station building, a goods shed and an engine shed, were prepared under Nicholas Wood's direction. On 21st August 1841 Nicholas Wood reported that considerable progress had been made, and the hope was expressed that the line would be completed before winter. Owing to unexpected difficulties in obtaining possession of part of the land, progress was delayed for about a year. However, at the end of 1842 Joseph Colthurst could at last announce that, "all the principal works on this branch are completed…. The brickwork, masonry and roofing to the station is finished, and the whole will be ready in the latter end of this month". In fact the Market Place station was opened on 17th December 1842, and thus preceded the Felling station (SMR 1013) by a few weeks. The Market Place passenger station was closed on 2nd June 1879 when a new section of railway was completed from High Shields station to meet the former Stanhope and Tyne Railway at Garden Lane junction, and the present station was opened at Mile End Road. The rails remained in situ alongside the platform at the Market Place Station until 1970. The station buildings and the massive stone pillars at the Station Road entrance are still more or less intact, and have been occupied by a garage firm for a good many years {3}.




<< HER 2353 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 4 N.T. Sinclair, & I.S. Carr, 1990, Railways of South Shields, p.14 TIAG, 1977, Stations on the Brandling Junction Railway - South Shields, TIAG Newsletter, No.17, Feb 1977

Back to Search Results