Tyne and Wear HER(2410): Marsden, Man Haven, beacons and crane house - Details
Marsden, Man Haven, beacons and crane house
Beacons, number unclear, at Man Haven shown on Ordnance Survey first edition 1855. The National Trust information board reads: "This small delightful bay was once used before the building of the Tyne Piers for launching pilot cobles when the sea was too rough to cross the Tyne Bar. Once an active fishing bay, the three semi-redundant boat-houses are all that remains". In 2004 the Arbeia Society recorded a concrete platform with an iron winch at the foot of the pathway from the cliff top. Within the cliff face is a brick arch 3 metres x 3 metres filled in and cemented over. Two parallel sets of stone steps descend to the beach, parallel to a slipway with two remaining timbers and ironwork. Halfway down the path is a concrete platform with an iron winch on it. This is the roof on a pair of huts. There is a steel door 1 metres x 4.5 metres on a concrete base.
<< HER 2410 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 4; The Arbeia Society, 2004, Archaeological Survey of the coast from South Shields to Whitburn