Tyne and Wear HER(2414): Cleadon, Limestone Quarry - Details
Cleadon, Limestone Quarry
Stone Extraction Site
Limestone Quarry, marked as ‘Old’ on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan, so presumably was out of use by 1855. The remains of a small stone building or structure on the western edge of the quarry. Rear wall is cut into hill. Feature approx. 80cm deep. Might be a small quarrymans shelter or possibly a crane base.
<< HER 2414 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 4; Northern Archaeological Associates, 2015, The Cleadon Village Atlas