Tyne and Wear HER(2496): Marsden, North Eastern Paper Mills - Details
Marsden, North Eastern Paper Mills
Paper Industry Site
North Eastern Paper Mills, opened in 1889, producing newsprint for local newspapers. Expanded in 1911 when new machinery was installed. Orders came from all over Britain - workers worked 13 hour shifts to satisfy demand. Over 300 tons of paper produced each week. There was a fire in 1912 which burned for a week. The mill struggled on for 12 years, diversifying into making wallpaper. Closed in 1933. Was at the southern terminus of the South Shields, Marsden and Whitburn Colliery Railway, (HER 2466).
<< HER 2496 >> 2nd edition, Ordnance Survey map, 1898, 6 inch scale, Durham, 4, SE; South Tyneside Libraries, 1991, Pictures of Old Marsden - The Village that Vanished, p 7