Tyne and Wear HER(2510): Hebburn, Robert Stephenson and Co / Palmers Shipbuilding Yard - Details
Hebburn, Robert Stephenson and Co / Palmers Shipbuilding Yard
Marine Construction Site
In 1885, Robert Stephenson took over a disused shipbuilding yard on the elbow of the River Tyne at Hebburn. The yard had a river frontage of 800 feet and five building berths within a total area of 17 acres. In 1888 a boiler shop was erected on the site and a shear-legs capable of lifting 100 tons set up. A large graving dock, 700 feet long, 90 feet wide and 29 feet deep at the entrance was added in the early 1900s. The Hebburn Yard did not prove successful, however, and in 1912 became part of Palmers Hebburn Co. Ltd. With Palmer's collapse in 1932, the yard was again closed, but re-opened in 1934 as part of Vickers Armstrong, as a ship repairing yard. During the Second World War, the yard was heavily involved in the repair of warships. Following closure in 1970 the yard was merged with Swan Hunter in 1972.
<< HER 2510 >> 2nd edition, Ordnance Survey map, 1898, 6 inch scale, Durham, 3, SE The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Shipbuilding on Tyne and Wear - Prehistory to Present. Tyne & Wear Historic Environment Record.