Tyne and Wear HER(2547): Harton, Oxclose, Humble's Wagonway to Harraton Outside - Details
Harton, Oxclose, Humble's Wagonway to Harraton Outside
Humble’s Waggonway, running from coal pits on Birtley Common to a staith at Fatfield, was established in 1741. By 1754, it was being used by Thomas Donnison to carry coal from South Birtley Colliery. A branch to Harraton Outside was established before 1787, shown on Gibson’s map of that year. May have served Noel Pit, (HER 3004). It is not marked as a wagonway on OS mapping.
<< HER 2547 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham,13; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 77D) p161 and 172; Gibson, 1797, Map of the Coalfield; Casson, 1801, Map of the Coalfield