Tyne and Wear HER(255): Warden Law S. barrow - Details
Warden Law S. barrow
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Mentioned by the antiquarian Greenwell in 1877, the barrow sat on the south slope of Warden Law. It was round, c. 33 feet in diameter, and c. 3 feet high at the centre. On excavation in 1911 it was found to consist largely of stones, with some earth, and had a possible encircling kerb of boulders. No cist was found but a sandstone slab was recorded which may have been the covering stone of a cist. In the barrow were found two much disturbed burials (HER no. 442), and some flints (HER nos. 443-445).
<< HER 255 >> W. Greenwell, 1877, British Barrows, p. 442 C.T. Trechmann, 1914, Prehistoric Burials in the County of Durham, Archaeologia Aeliana, 3, XI, pp. 162-167 Ordnance Survey archaeological record cards, ISS, 1978, Possible Round Barrow/cairn... R. Young, 1980, An Inventory of Barrows in Co. Durham, Transactions Architectectural & Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland, New series Vol. 5, p. 13 no. 96 R. Miket, 1984, The Prehistory of Tyne and Wear, p. 70, no. 3