Tyne and Wear HER(2559): Jarrow, Railway Spur - Details
Jarrow, Railway Spur
Railway Transport Site
A railway spur from the North Eastern Railway, Newcastle and South Shields Branch (HER ref. Tyne 2509) into Tyne Dock (HER ref. 2556). It ran from St. Bede's Junction to the Tyne Dock Bottom Junction and was opened on 1885 to ease congestion in the Dock Bottom and its approaches. The 2nd edition Ordnance Survey plan shows 3 warehouses on the site, of which the westernmost had been replaced by the 1920s and the others later removed when the East Jarrow Carriage and Repair Shops were built. By 1921 the area was occupied by a Saw Mill and yards associated with the timber ponds at Jarrow Slake. The site remained railway property until the 1980s, with parts of the Saw Mill and the trackbeds still in situ.
<< HER 2559 >> 2nd edition, Ordnance Survey map, 1898, 6 inch scale, Durham, 3, SE County Conservation Team, 1989, Simonside, South Shields