Tyne and Wear HER(2586): Monkton, Monkton Coking Works - Details
Monkton, Monkton Coking Works
Fuel Production Site
Monkton Coking Works were built in 1930 and began operation in 1937, continuing to work until 1990. Originally there were 33 ovens in one battery, but in 1956 a second battery of 33 was opened. Battery 1 closed down in 1960 and was replaced in 1972. Battery 2 closed soon after and was replaced in 1980. Until closure in 1990 the plant was in the hands of the National Coal Board, having been taken over in 1947. Originally producing coke for the steel industry the plant began to produce coke for domestic use from 1986 as well as blast furnace and quartz coke.
<< HER 2586 >> Desc Text Historic Environment Record