Tyne and Wear HER(2610): Usworth, Wagonway - Details
Wagonway, marked as Old on the 1st edition OS mapping, so was out of use by 1857. Entire course is unclear but may have led from pits within Usworth Main or Russellâ€™s Main Colliery to the north west of Washington to staiths on the south bank of the River Tyne at Bill Quay. It was in use between 1787 and 1836.
<< HER 2610 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 7; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 40) p158, 169; NEIMME: Watson 24/10; Gibson's 1787 Map of Coalfield