Tyne and Wear HER(2650): South Hylton, High Ford Dock - Details
South Hylton, High Ford Dock
Dock and Harbour Installation
The First Edition Ordnance Survey map shows a rectilinear tidal dock and associated yard is on the southern side of the River Wear towards the centre of South Hylton. The area is not described as a shipbuilding yard, although it contains the facilities often associated with the industry: 2 saw pits, a smithy and a crane. It may have acted solely as a repair yard. On the Second Edition Ordnance Survey map the yard has expanded and includes definitive evidence for its use as a shipyard; a patent slipway running obliquely across the site to launch downriver. A number of new buildings lie on the southern edge of the slip and the tidal dock has gone. The southern extent of the site is unclear and may now include the building which was formerly the Golden Lion public house.
<< HER 2650 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 7 Tyne and Wear Industrial Monuments Trust, 1978, Sites of interest in River Wear plan area The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Shipbuilding on Tyne and Wear - Prehistory to Present. Tyne & Wear Historic Environment Record. 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1896 map