Tyne and Wear HER(266): Houghton-le-Spring, Houghton and Rainton mill - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Houghton and Rainton mill
Water Power Production Site
In 1586 it was recorded that a watermill, called Houghton and Raynton mill in Co. Durham, was part of the possessions of the dissolved hospital of St. James, near Northallerton. There are various other references to mills at Rainton, and East Rainton between the late 12th and late 16th centuries, but no precise locations are known.
<< HER 266 >> W. Brown, 1910, Abstracts of grants of chapels and chantry lands in the co. of Durham, 3, IV (for 1909-10), p. 6 Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, W. Greenwell, ed. 1852, Boldon Buke, Surtees Society, 25, p. 48 W. Greenwell ed. 1871, Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society 58, pp. 19, 124, 312 Surtees Society, Halmote Court Rolls, p. 219 Prior's Kitchen Durham, Durham Dean and Chapter MSS, 1345, Rental of the House of Durham, 1345-46