Tyne and Wear HER(2733): Monkwearmouth, Manor Quay Shipbuilding Yard - Details
Monkwearmouth, Manor Quay Shipbuilding Yard
Marine Construction Site
The Manor Quay was an extension of J L Thompson's North Sands Yard (HER ref. 2722). It was opened in 1884 for the fitting out and repair of vessels. The history of the manor Quay is, as such, parallel with the rest of J L Thompson's Yard. Joseph L Thompson and Sons Ltd was incorporated as a limited liability company in 1894. In 1954 the company became a subsidiary concern for Sunderland Shipbuilding, Dry Docks and Engineering Co. Ltd, which itself became part of the Doxford and Sunderland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd in 1961. In 1966, Thompson's was absorbed into Doxfords. On the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey plan, the yard is marked as 'Ship Repairing Works' on the riverside west of ballast House Wharf, and two substantial structures exist within it. There is little change shown on the 3rd edition Ordnance Survey plan but on the 4th edition buildings have enclosed the eastern and north-eastern sides of the yard, travelling cranes run alongside the quayside to the east and west, and a large fixed crane sits towards the west of the quay. The yard was demolished in 1986 and little trace of it survives.
<< HER 2733 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 8 The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Shipbuilding on Tyne and Wear - Prehistory to Present. Tyne & Wear Historic Environment Record. 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1898 6 to 1 mile, sheets VIII SW and SE 3rd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1921, 6 inch to one mile scale, sheets VIII SW and SE