Tyne and Wear HER(274): South Shields, Anglian monastery - Details
South Shields, Anglian monastery
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Bede refers to St.Hilda, and to a monastery/nunnery not far from the mouth of the Tyne. In 648 Aidan gave St. Hilda "the land of one family on the north side of the river Wear; where for a year she also led a monastic life, with very few companions"…."...a monastery lying towards the south, not far from the mouth of the river Tyne, at that time consisting of monks, but now...inhabited by a noble company of virgins, dedicated to Christ...". The most probable site is in the vicinity of St. Hilda's church, South Shields. It is thought that it was probably destroyed by the Danes.
<< HER 274 >> J.M. Dent, 1958, Bede, The Ecclesiastical History of the English Nation; Life and Miracles of St.Cuthbert, pp. 202, 291,332 J.T. Fowler, ed. 1891, The Life of St. Cuthbert, Surtees Society, 87 (for 1889), p. 34 Rev. H.E. Savage, 1897, Abbess Hilda's first Religious House, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XIX, pp. 47-75 W. Page, ed. 1907, St. Hilda's first monastery, Victoria County History, Durham, II, p. 80