Tyne and Wear HER(2752): Monkwearmouth, Sheepfold or Rickaby Pottery - Details
Monkwearmouth, Sheepfold or Rickaby Pottery
Pottery Manufacturing Site
Sheepfold Pottery also known as Rickaby's Pottery was in operation from 1840-1900. It was built by Thomas Rickaby, a potter from Newbottle. In 1840 and 1851 it employed five men and three women. By then John Blakelock had invested in the company, which was subsequently listed as Rickaby & Blakelock. By 1865 Rickaby's son had taken over the firm forming T.J. Rickaby & co. Initially it had a single kiln with two more added in 1851. The pottery produced mainly brown domestic ware including salt kits (hung by the fire to keep salt dry). Orders were passed to Rickaby's from Sunderland Garrison Pottery. Some white earthenware was also produced. On the death of Rickaby in 1900 it was transferred to Snowdon and Co. of Bridge Pottery (HER.17569).
1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 8; N.T. Sinclair in Milburn & Miller, (eds) 1988, Sunderland, River, Town & People, Industry to 1914, p.24; Davison, P J, 1986. Brickworks of the North East, 154; Northern Archaeological Associates, 2017, Sheepfolds, Sunderland - Archaeological Desk Based Assessment, Building Recording and Geological Assessment, pp 39-40, 47; J.T. Shaw, 1973, The Potteries of Sunderland and District; C. Barker, 1984 Sunderland Pottery