Tyne and Wear HER(28): Sunderland, Barnes Park, cannon - Details
Sunderland, Barnes Park, cannon
Armour and Weapons
A large gun exhibited in Barnes Park, Sunderland bears the inscription "County Borough of Sunderland 1909. Dredged from the river Wear near the spot where the Scottish army of General Leslie crossed....in February 1644, when his soldiers camped in the Panns Field, Sunderland, March 4th 1644". The cannon is now in Barnes Park situated at NZ 3773 5566. It is 3.3 metres long and mounted on a concrete pillar bearing the inscription above. Though suggested as Civil War in origin, Barbara Harbottle thinks it more likely to be 19th century in origin, perhaps being used as ship's ballast when it was lost.
<< HER 28 >> W.C. Mitchell, 1919, History of Sunderland, p. 60 Ordnance Survey archaeological record cards, 1956, Civil War cannon