Tyne and Wear HER(2804): Deptford, Salt Grass Dock - Details
Deptford, Salt Grass Dock
Dock and Harbour Installation
A major tidal dock was constructed on the south bank of the Deptford meander in the River Wear some time between John Wood’s survey of the area in 1826 and the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan of 1855. As shown on the 1855 survey the dock with regular, presumably walled, and runs longitudinally down the ‘peninsula’, with cranes regularly spaced on the broad quays to east and west. The discrete Ayres Quay lies on the southern edge of the dock. Businesses surrounding the dock included timber yards, shipbuilding yards, a brass foundry, an iron works and two glass works. By the end of the century, however, the facility had gone, levelled by the expanding Laing’s ship building yard which took over most of the northern portion of the ‘peninsula’.
<< HER 2804 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 8 The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Shipbuilding on Tyne and Wear - Prehistory to Present. Tyne & Wear Historic Environment Record.