Tyne and Wear HER(2836): Bishopwearmouth, Horne and Scott's Bottle Works - Details
Bishopwearmouth, Horne and Scott's Bottle Works
Horne and Scott's Bottle Works, by the west side of the Wearmouth Bridge was originally called Bishopwearmouth Glasshouse. It was opened in 1765 by John Hopton to produce Table Glass. It was subsequently run by Hilkiah Hall and in c.1809 was taken over by Laing, Horn, Scott and Company, producing bottles and plate glass. It closed in 1877 and was demolished to make way for a railway bridge.
<< HER 2836 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 8 N.T. Sinclair in Milburn & Miller (eds), 1988, Sunderland, River, Town & People, Industry to 1914, p.32