Tyne and Wear HER(2863): Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland Glass Company's Bottle Works - Details
Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland Glass Company's Bottle Works
This may have been what was also known as Bishopwearmouth Panns Glasshouse. It was opened in c.1696 by the Company of Glasshouse Owners of Sunderland and passed through a number of owners until taken over by the Fenwicks c.1795. As well as bottles it produced Broad window glass, from c.1810 to 1877 and Crown window glass, from 1827-1846. The works closed in 1883 and became part of Austin's Shipyard.
<< HER 2863 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 8 N.T. Sinclair in Milburn & Miller, (eds) 1988, Sunderland, River, Town & People, Industry to 1914, p.32