Tyne and Wear HER(2866): Bishopwearmouth, Liddle and Pott's Shipbuilding Yards - Details
Bishopwearmouth, Liddle and Pott's Shipbuilding Yards
Marine Construction Site
Two shipyards; ‘Liddles Building Yard’ to the west and ‘Pott’s Building Yard’ to the east are shown on Wood’s 1826 Plan of the Town of Sunderland. Pott’s yard includes a ‘Dry Dock’, presumably a floating structure positioned on the riverside. Wylam Wharf bounds Pott’s Yard to the east, and Liddles Yard is bounded to the west by Hutchinson’s Docks (HER ref. No. 2865). There is a range of buildings between both yards and other buildings scattered around the edges of each yard. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan shows that each of the yards had been upgraded since 1826 with the introduction of slipways, suggest that the yards were involved in ship construction. By the 1870s the yards had both been subsumed within the Scotia Marine Engine Works. No visible evidence remains for the shipyards.
<< HER 2866 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 8 The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Shipbuilding on Tyne and Wear - Prehistory to Present. Tyne & Wear Historic Environment Record.