Tyne and Wear HER(292): Gateshead Head, boundary cross - Details
Gateshead Head, boundary cross
Religious Ritual and Funerary
A stone cross stood in front of the chapel of St. Edmund, Bishop and Confessor. It is mentioned in 1430 as 'standing in the King's highway at the head of the town of Gateshead'. Its base remained in 1783, and is shown in Grose's engraving of St. Edmund's Chapel. It marked the site known in former times as Gateshead- Head. In the year 1594 it was the scene of the martyrdom of John Ingram,'a seminary priest'.
<< HER 292 >> TW.H. Knowles & J.R. Boyle, 1890, Vestiges of Old Newcastle and Gateshead, pp. 237-8 Illustration, F. Grose, 1783, Antiquities of England and Wales, IV