Tyne and Wear HER(2976): Rainton and Seaham Railway - Details
Rainton and Seaham Railway
Railway Transport Site
The Rainton and Seaham Railway line, built by the Marquis of Londonderry, opened in 1831 and was worked entirely by inclines. The line closed in 1896, but the section from near Copt Hill to the North Hetton Branch, along with that branch, was taken over by the Hetton Coal Company and worked until 1917. The western end was where it split into the Adventure and Framwellgate branches (HER ref. 3195 and HER ref. 3200, respectively) at Nicholson's Pit (HER ref. 3201).
<< HER 2976 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 6 inch scale, Durham14 C.E. Mountford, 1970, The Development of Colliery Railways in Co. Durham, p.13,16; East Rainton Women's Institute, no date, History of East Rainton (typescript); Pre-Construct Archaeology, 2019. Land at Hetton Road, Houghton-le-Spring, Tyne and Wear