Tyne and Wear HER(300): Newcastle, Barras Bridge - Details
Newcastle, Barras Bridge
Barras Bridge carried the Great North Road across the Pandon Burn just north of the junction of Northumberland Street and Percy Street. Remains of the bridge arch, including at least two of the medieval ribs, and part of a later widening, survive in the Pandon sewer just south of the pedestrian crossing south of Claremont Road and about 10 feet below presentl road level. It was apparently widened in 1789, to the design of David Stephenson, architect, and "rebuilt, raised and considerably widened" in 1819. It probably disappeared in 1835 when the dene was filled up.
<< HER 300 >> Newcastle Courant, 1789, 28.ii.1789 Calendars of Common Council Books, 1819, 1817-24, pp. 69-70, 7.iv.1819 - Tyne and Wear Archive Service T.M. Richardson, 1880, Memorials of old Newcastle upon Tyne, Plate VIII Photo City Engineer's Photographic Section, 1968, Barras Bridge in Pandon, Sewer nos. 860/4, 7, 23.x.1968; Drawing of Barras Bridge area by John Storey 1820