Tyne and Wear HER(3007): Harraton, Ayton Pit - Details
Harraton, Ayton Pit
Coal Mining Site
Ayton Pit (Coal). Shown but not named on Bell 1843. A pit called 'Dylan' is shown on Oliver's map of 1851. The pit is probably named after the family of Samuel Ayton of West Herrington. In 1730 his eldest daughter Elizabeth Ayton married John Thorald. This added the coal mines at Harraton to the assets of the Thorald family of Marston (later Syston) Lincolnshire.
<< HER 3007 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 13; John Thomas William Bell, 1843, Plan of part of the Tyne and Wear coal districts in the County of Durham; Tithe map of Harraton in the Parish of Chester-le-Street, 1847; William Oliver, 1851, Map of the coalfield of Northumberland and Durham; Pre-Construct Archaeology Ltd, 2008, An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment: The Former Goodyear Dunlop Tyre Factory, Wear Industrial Estate, Washington, Tyne and Wear; Lincolnshire Archives Committee 1956, Lincolnshire Archives reference THOR 2/4/2 (Bargain, sale, release and confirmation, dated 30th July 1730) and THOR 2/4/1 (lease for a year, dated 29th July 1730) and THOR 6/4/1 (letter dated 10th January 1764) and THOR 6/4/2 (letter dated 27th March 1770) and THOR 1/1/7/1 (lease for 21 years, dated 21st October 1778) and THOR 1/1/7/2 (lease for 20 years, undated)