Tyne and Wear HER(3024): Harraton Colliery, Row Pit - Details
Harraton Colliery, Row Pit
Coal Mining Site
Row Pit. Part of Harraton Colliery. Opened before 1794, closed 29 May 1965. There were three pits - Big Pit, Billy Pit and Row Pit. Owners were Messrs Lamb & Co, then in the 1850s Stobbart, Bell & Co, then the Earl of Durham. By 1896 the Lambton Colleries LTD owned the colliery. 1947 the National Coal Board took over. An explosion on 30th Jun 1817 at Row Pit killed 38 people.
<< HER 3024 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 13; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk