Tyne and Wear HER(303): Great Usworth village - Details
Great Usworth village
Part of the bishops's estates, the earliest documentary reference appears to be 1183. Hatfield's Survey in the 14th century records the village as split between Sir William Hilton (2 parts) and Alice de Moderby (1 part). The Hilton family remained the principal landowners until the sale, in 1750, of their estate which then consisted of 7 farms. The regular 2-row plan with green survives, though many of the buildings are modern. There are stone buildings, mostly 19th century and much altered at the east end of the green. Outside the west end of the green is the church, and outside the east end the school.
<< HER 303 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1852, Boldon Buke, Surtees Society, 25, pp. 69-70 W. Greenwell, ed. 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society,56, p. 102 Mining Institute, 1755, Particulars of the Hylton Estate, Shelf 11, no. 19 -Northumberland Records Office, Watson Collection Wm. Brown Collection, 1768, Great Usworth Estate, Vol. III, no. 17 -Northumberland Records Office Mining Institute, Watson Collection, 1782 Usworth Estate, Shelf 29, no. 36 -Northumberland Records Office 1805, Usworth, East House Farm, D/Br/P D/75 -Durham Records Office 1805, Usworth, Stone Cellar Farm, D/Br/P D/76 -Durham Records Office Tithe Awards - 1844, Great Usworth, Little Usworth, Washington and North Biddick - Durham Records Office W. Hutchinson, 1787, History of...Durham, Vol. II, pp. 617-18, 619n, 683n R. Surtees, 1820, History of...Durham, Vol. II, p. 44 Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2003, The Retreat, Usworth, Tyne and Wear, Archaeological Monitoring; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2018. Land at High Usworth, Washington, Tyne and Wear, Archaeological Monitoring