Tyne and Wear HER(3039): Harraton, Chartershaugh Colliery (Chaytor's Haugh) - Details
Harraton, Chartershaugh Colliery (Chaytor's Haugh)
Coal Mining Site
Opened before 1756. There were four other pits - Dolly Pit, Hedge Pit (NZ 305 533), Scrog Pit and Stable End Pit (HER 3040). Owners were Edward Smith and later W. Peareth Esq. On 17 November 1771 a great flood on the River Wear flooded colleries at Chartershaugh, North Biddick and Low Lambton. Over 30 horses drowned and several wagons and horses were swept away. The colliery fire engines were destroyed. On 8 December 1778, 24 miners were killed in an explosion.
<< HER 3039 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 13; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk