Tyne and Wear HER(304): Marden rectilinear enclosure - Details
Marden rectilinear enclosure
A rectilinear ditched enclosure 67 metres ong and 58 metres wide. The site was two-thirds built over by 1958 when the first archaeological trial trench was dug. Excavation in 1961-2 uncovered the entrance and a hut circle. The entrance was 6.7 m wide between the spatulate terminals of the ditch, but only 2.4 m wide between 2 short lengths of palisade trench within the ditch. There was a little evidence for a stockyard inside the entrance. A round hut, 5.5 metres internal diameter, was marked by a shallow trench.
<< HER 304 >> Aerial Photograph, J.K. St. Joseph, 1956, 31,vii.1956, TR 93-94 -Museum of Antiquities Cambridge University J.K. St. Joseph, 1958, Air Reconnaissance in Britain 1955-7, Journal Roman Studies, Vol. 48, p. 87 G. Jobey, 1963, Excavation of a Native Settlement at Marden, Tynemouth, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XLI, pp. 19-35 R. Miket, 1984, The Prehistory of Tyne and Wear, p. 90, no. 1, p. 127, pl. 9