Tyne and Wear HER(306): Burradon rectilinear enclosure 1 (2) - Details
Burradon rectilinear enclosure 1 (2)
A rectilinear ditched enclosure 52 metres long and 48 metres wide was excavated in 1968-9 and found to be superimposed on the EIA settlement (HER 305). Within a ditch 4.5 - 5 metres wide, and a maximum 2.25 m deep, and a ploughed-out internal bank, there was a single, central, round timber house c. 11.5 metres in diameter inside a drainage ditch 2 metres wide and 1 metre deep. Finds of Roman pottery suggest the site was occupied in the 2nd century A.D.
<< HER 306 >> Aerial Photograph, N. McCord,1961, Nov. 1961, G/023203/2-7 -Museum of Antiquities Aerial Photograph, N. McCord,1969, 27.vi.1969, A/062979/20-24, 26-28, 30-31 -Museum of Antiquities G. Jobey, 1970, An Iron Age Settlement and Homestead at Burradon, Northumberland, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XLVIII, 51-95 R. Miket, 1984, The Prehistory of Tyne and Wear, p. 49 no. 1, p. 51, p.122 plate 4 Aerial Photograph, T. Gates, 1977, 6.vii.1977, SF 1205/32-33 -Museum of Antiquities