Tyne and Wear HER(3069): Cox Green, Nichol's Sands, Shipbuilding Yard - Details
Cox Green, Nichol's Sands, Shipbuilding Yard
Marine Construction Site
During the 18th century and first half of the 19th century, Cox Green was an important focus for the transhipment of locally mined coal from land to river. A number of wagonways ran through the settlement and terminated at drops or staiths on the riverside. Shipbuilding yards developed on this point of the river Wear also. A shipyard with associated timber yard is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map to the north of active sandstone quarries. Nichol's Sands run along the full length of the shipyard. The shipyard site is now entirely covered by Edgewood Stables, but it is likely that some of its remains survive below ground.
<< HER 3069 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 13 The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Shipbuilding on Tyne and Wear - Prehistory to Present. Tyne & Wear Historic Environment Record; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2014, Penshaw: Not just a monument - Historic Village Atlas