Tyne and Wear HER(3083): Penshaw, The Main Engine - Details
Penshaw, The Main Engine
The First Edition Ordnance Survey plan 1862 shows a building labelled The Main Engine at Waggon Hill. On the 1775 plan there is a coal shaft, surrounding spoil and adjoining building, probably a pumping engine are shown here. A track, with sidings beside the pit ran north to the spout on the Lambton riverbank and probably transported coal from the colliery. Pit may have closed by 1815 - the engine perhaps still functioned to drain the colliery. Perhaps represents Wharton Main Colliery hence the name, the Main Engine, on the 1862 OS plan.
<< HER 3083 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 13; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2014, Penshaw: Not just a monument - Historic Village Atlas; Tempest Estate Map, 1775 (DRO NCB 1/X 227);