Tyne and Wear HER(3099): Penshaw, Penshaw Colliery, Whitefield D Pit - Details
Penshaw, Penshaw Colliery, Whitefield D Pit
Coal Mining Site
Ordnance Survey first edition of 1850 shows Painshaw Colliery, Whitefield Pit with brick kilns within the colliery. Opened 1830. E Pit was at NZ 322 525, Lambton Pit (which was opened in 1792) was at NZ 319 533, New D Pit (opened 1832) was at NZ 322 533. The colliery was owned by Lady FA Vane Londonderry, then George Elliot & Co.
<< HER 3099 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1862, 6 inch scale, Durham, 13; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; N. Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2014, Penshaw: Not just a monument - Historic Village Atlas;