Tyne and Wear HER(3124): Penshaw, Herrington Mill - Details
Penshaw, Herrington Mill
Herrington Mill (Corn), with mill race located on the east side of the burn above the point where Philadelphia Lane (A182) crosses the burn today. Designed to serve West Herrington township probably in the medieval period. By 1768 it is shown as a paper mill on Armstrong's county map and as a flint mill on Greenwood's map of 1820. By c.1858 it was a corn mill.
<< HER 3124 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 13; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2014, Penshaw: Not just a monument - Historic Village Atlas