Tyne and Wear HER(3140): Houghton-le-Spring, Morton Engine - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Morton Engine
Historic Ordnance Survey map evidence shows the Morton Engine, possibly a winding or pumping engine associated with the nearby Coal Pit (HER ref. 3121) and wagonway (HER ref. 3614). The Morton Engine, built to pump water from the Bournmoor D Pit (HER ref. 4998), was planned from 1814 and commenced pumping operations in early 1817. The site is recorded as "Morton Engine" in 1856 and as the "Morton Pumping Station" in 1896, but by 1920 was disused. A terrace of four houses was located to the south of the engine, but the buildings had been demolished by 1939. The site of the engine is now marked by a low grassed-over mound.
<< HER 3140 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 13 Northern Archaeological Associates, 2001, Sunderland Central Route, Multi Modal Study