Tyne and Wear HER(3164): Houghton-le-Spring, Flint Mill - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Flint Mill
The site of a Flint Mill with Mill Dam appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan adjacent to a stream feeding into Moors Burn. The date it was established is not known, but it was mapped in 1856 as two principal buildings with a mill dam to the east. The mill dam had been infilled by 1896, and the buildings presumably no longer functioned as a mill. By 1939 they had been demolished in advance of the Flint Mill Sewage Works to the north. The site of the mill buildings is currently a combination of grassland and scub.
<< HER 3164 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 13 Northern Archaeological Associates, 2001, Sunderland Central Route, Multi Modal Study