Tyne and Wear HER(3166): Houghton-le-Spring, Houghton Colliery - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Houghton Colliery
Coal Mining Site
Houghton Colliery. Was served by the Lambton Railway Houghton Branch, (HER 3133). Sinking started in April 1823 and the Hutton seam was reached by April 1827. Closed on 26 September 1981. Two large concrete caps mark the location of the upcast and downcast shafts. The colliery substation can still be seen at the entrance to Houghton Quarry. Opened by the Earl of Durham, owned by Lambton Colleries Ltd in 1896, then Lambton and Hetton Colleries Ltd, and from 1947 the National Coal Board. In 1894, Whellan reported that there were two shafts and that the pit was ventilated by a Guibal fan. The daily output was 1600 tons and 1020 men and boys were employed. An explosion on 1 September 1828 killed 7 miners, and another on 11 November 1850 killed 27.
1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, c.1855, 6 inch scale, Durham, 13; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; N. Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield; Paul Lanagan, 2012, Houghton Colliery Remembered, www.houghtonlespring.org.uk